2011_0304 Chapter 3: Move It to Lose It (Part 1 of 4)

Another installment from the Lose It! book. This chapter is a bit longer and I am a bit busier these days. I am not going to attempt to read it all in one sitting, so I am not going to attempt to blog about it in one post either. Smaller chunks are better for comprehension and retention.

CHAPTER 3: MOVE IT TO LOSE IT
This chapter is geared toward showing you the way to burn more calories in less time. A big plus for me because I tend to not take a lot of time for myself.

Multitasking: Counting Calories While You Exercise
The key is to choose activities that will burn the most in the least amount of time. Let us explore the options, ...

What Has Exercise Done For You Lately?
Nothing we did not already know here. We shed pounds by decreasing our caloric intake. When combined with exercise, the pound shedding is faster. Research studies are presented in this section.

Choose Your Rewards When You Burn More Calories
A table of ideas how you could reward yourself for doing three hours of cardio a week.
This table may be helpful to some, but I prefer to ignore this table and choose a different type of reward system. One that does not involve calories. For me the table could back fire in the sense I could develop a bad habit of expecting a calorie goodie for doing good. I need to break that mental habit. Rewards to not need to be of the caloric type. Instead, I am focusing on rewards such as a new outfit, accessory, or day-trip/activity. The healthier I get, the better the reward.

More Calories Out Means More Calories In
Because Lose It is not a diet but a real world weight loss option, this section a valuable safety net to help prevent you from falling off your weight loss wagon.  If you go overboard with a high-calorie food, you can still stay out of the red zone by exercising.  This section has a table named, "How To Rewind The Calorie Counter," which gives you guide on how to make it easier to say within your daily calorie allotment. An example from the table is if you have a Snicker's bar when you really should have had a Kashi GOLEAN bar. The suggested way to get back on the caloric track is to burn off the 90 calorie difference in the bars. One possible way is to do 10 minutes on the StairMaster at a moderate pace. That sounds very doable and realistic.

Another table found in this section is, "Swapping In Flavors, Swapping Out Fat (Body Fat, That Is)." Four suggestions to swap out some big calories for lesser ones while not losing flavor, just "swapping" flavors.  One on the table I was already familiar with, swapping beef for chicken.
Something I found interesting in this section was how our blood is darker the less we exercise. The more we exercise, the more oxygenated it gets, the brighter red our blood gets.

My next  installment from the Lose It! book will be "Burn Calories In Your Sleep," in Chapter 3.

If you are reading the Lose It! book, I would enjoy hearing from you and finding out your thoughts. If you are not reading the book, but have any comments, I would also enjoy hearing from you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where to Purchase Shoes

Healthier Choice, Still Over Budget

2011_0117 Counting Calories at Disneyland