Ruffles vs Special K



The past two days in a row I have gained weight. This is bothersome because the past two days I walked FIVE miles each day. I decided to examine what I did the day before and what I ate. Nothing really stood out. It was bugging me. So, I broke out the pencil and paper and wrote things out and I saw what contributed to some of the weight gain. I can not say it caused all of the weight gain, but it did enlighten me. So here are my findings.

What you see in the picture is ONE serving of two types of chips.
On the left is regular plain Ruffles potato chips.
On the right is sour cream and onion Special K cracker chips.
I thought choosing the cracker chips was better for me than the potato chips, right?
------------------POTATO CHIPS ---------CRACKER CHIPS
Serving Size------ 28 g ---------------------- 30 g
Calories----------- 160 ---------------------- 110
Sodium------------ 160 mg -------------------- 230 mg

Fiber---------------- 1g ------------------------- 3g
Potassium--------- 340 mg ------------------ 190 mg
Protein------------- 2g ------------------------ 2g

I was very surprised to find out that one serving of cracker chips has more sodium than a serving of potato chips. The potato chips have more potassium. Had I taken the time to read the packages, I would have chosen the potato chips.

Lesson Learned: Always read the sodium content, even when I think the item is a healthy choice.



Goal Updates:
- I did not walk enough today, nor did I do the yoga DVD. I am okay with this because I did spend 2 hours at our local park with my kids. We played ball, climbed small rock formation, enjoyed the playground equipment and the wide open grassy areas.
- synched my FitBit for the 10th day in a row and for the 4th day in a row this year.
- made this blog post. This means I have made a blog post everyday this year.
- My water intake was four 8oz glasses of water.

Goals for tomorrow:
- drink more than four 8oz glasses of water.
- synch/update the podcasts I listen to.

emoticon
**Dickerson and Thomas**
Thank you ladies for your words of encouragement.

Comments

VCD said…
Suggestion, don't weigh every day as it fluctuates so much. Try once a week or maybe every other day? Really enjoying reading your blog. Keep it up!

Popular posts from this blog

Where to Purchase Shoes

Healthier Choice, Still Over Budget

2011_0117 Counting Calories at Disneyland