Beating Temptation

Today is Wednesday. On Wednesdays I have a "Mommy & Me" class. The class itself is great. My problem is with snack time. The kids get a little snack, and, so do the parents. More often than not, the snack for parents is sugar. It can be cookies, doughnuts, brownies, ... sugar. It is very tempting to have one bite, and maybe one more bite.

I used to think it was okay to have a bite or two since I'd be burning it off during class. When I started tracking my activity and the calories in the sugary treat, I discovered it was not true. I felt it was rude not to have the snack, but after a few times of passing on it, I'm okay with it. People have asked me to take ONE bite, but I still decline. Sometimes I will be asked why. Well, even if I get the rolling eyes, or other non-supportive remarks, I stand firm. I say, "I am counting calories." Bottom line, they don't care about my health or about my goals. So, why should I care about their remarks. On very rare occasions I do get a positive response. Simple but positive, "Ok."

One thing I have done to help myself is always make sure I eat before class, bring ice water for myself, and pack a snack to have immediately after class.

It does not always work but when I slip, I'm okay with it. It make sure I do not slip too far off track. For example, today I had two 1" pink cookies. I have no idea how many calories were in them, but I'm sure I did not burn them off during class.

Planning, thinking ahead, packing a snack, all these little things "help" me beat temptation. It is not a fool proof plan, but it helps a lot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where to Purchase Shoes

Healthier Choice, Still Over Budget

2011_0117 Counting Calories at Disneyland