SparkPeople Blocked Me on Facebook Because of my Name?!?!

A week ago I sent an email to SparkPeople.com's help support. I wanted to know why I could not post on their Facebook Page. I was able to do so for a while and then all of a sudden I was not. All of a sudden because I was not given a warning that I was doing something wrong.

After the first round of emails I thought it might be because I was posting links on SparkPeople's Facebook page. Those links were always leading back into SparkPeople, my SparkPage to be exact. I was told I could do so, and so I did freely.

I asked why I was being blocked again and they could not really say. I asked if I could be allowed to post again and I would not post any links. I was told they could not do so. This puzzled me greatly. What did I do? The person at SparkPeople.com helped me out by contacting the person over on SparkPeople.com's Facebook Page, apparently they related but the two are run separately. The following is the response I got from what I believe is the people over at SparkPeople.com's Facebook Page yesterday:

"Thanks for your patience with this!  I'm happy to let you know that you are free to post on our page from your personal facebook account.

However, we don't allow any facebook pages that are related to weight loss post on our page.  This is because we are a small staff and can't check out each individual page to make sure they are accurate, not promoting, etc.  I realize that you don't have any content on the facebook page you have linked on your SparkPage (
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mrs-Gs-Weight-Loss-Journey/

198004820241527), but because it is a weight-loss related page, we can't allow you to post from that on our page.  We have to keep that policy in place because it is the only way we can be sure that the content on our facebook page is safe for all of our members.

Please let me know if you have any questions!"
 
What I got out of this email was that I have been blocked from using SparkPeople's Facebook Page because the name of my Facebook Page includes the key phrase, "Weight Loss." They checkout my Facebook Page and they themselves say I do not have any violating links! It all comes down to my name?!?!?!?

On SparkPeople.com's site I have a SparkPage. A SparkPage is the name they use for a blog. Okay, so on my SparkPage I have been making almost daily updates about my still waiting for response as to  why I have been blocked. On one of those days, I cut and pasted the response I got from a SparkPeople.com person. Apparently that is a violation and so they deleted my post. You can read that post here on blogger, it is dated September 02, 2012. They had a problem with my quoting them. I do not like it, but it is in their agreement.

I like SparkPeople.com they have useful tools, articles, SparkTeams, .... 2 weeks ago I checked out their SparkPeople Live feature. I attended orientation and 2 sessions. The same day I had decided to purchase the extra feature for 3 months, all this started. I waited to see how all this panned out.  Well, now I know how it has all panned out and it's up to me to decide how to proceed.

There are some people I keep in touch with, some groups I enjoy listening in on, features I really like, ... Unfortunately I will not be able to full utilize what SparkPeople has to offer because I'll be blocked based on my name and deleted because I quote them. I have not read the terms of use for SparkPeople Live, but I would not be surprise if they say I can not reproduce or talk about anything that comes out of SparkPeople Live. 

I enjoy blogging and talking about my "weight loss journey." I mention what works and does not work for me. I am not an expert in any field, but I, like everyone else on this planet, has an opinion. I like to share it and some agree with it and some don't. Many times I learn from those who disagree with me.

Unfortunately I feel SparkPeople and I must part ways.
 
My name is Mrs. G and this is my weight loss journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where to Purchase Shoes

Healthier Choice, Still Over Budget

2011_0117 Counting Calories at Disneyland