Making New Habits


Old habits die hard, ... or do they? As I sat down to work on my laptop I also started getting a hankering to snack on something. Something to crunch on, to chew on, to keep my mouth busy while my fingers work the keyboard.

Mindlessly I reached out for a bag of Reese's Mini Bars. I placed them next to my laptop and kept on typing. After a few minutes went by when I tore the bag open and stuffed one in my mouth. I crunched, I typed, and I crunched some more, and I typed some more and that was it for that piece.  I felt satisfied and kept on working. It felt like I continued to work for a few more minutes, something like 10-15 minutes maybe. I came to a point in my work where I had to stop and ponder. My mind was preoccupied with my work and my hands went on autopilot as I reached in the bag for a second piece of Reese's. This time I felt like I was moving in slow motion. My mind went from my work to genuinely focusing on what my hand was doing. I savored the chocolatey taste, the crunchy cookie, the silky peanut butter. The scent of the combined ingredients filled my lungs and I could feel myself smiling. I was satisfied with my snack. My five senses enjoyed my treat and it made a difference. For the rest of the night, I did not need another piece.

Eating Reese's Mini Bars by the bag full is not going to help me loose weight, but depriving myself from such treats will make my weight loss journey tougher. If I am going to eat these treats, I need to do it intentionally and I need to fully enjoy them without guilt. TWO pieces were enough for me. I was and am still very proud of myself in that I did not eat the entire bag and yet I feel sweet tooth is satisfied.

I still felt a need to chew something so I got two pieces of Orbit gum.

Tonight was a small non-scale victory for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where to Purchase Shoes

Healthier Choice, Still Over Budget

2011_0117 Counting Calories at Disneyland