My Future Self Motivates Me


Today I did not feel like going out for a walk. I felt like everything is an uphill battle and I can't seem to get any traction. It's hot, my knee is bugging me, I'm not loosing any weight, I'm tired...*sigh* I reluctantly got up and went for my walk in a grumpy mood.

It took my a few minutes to find earbuds and sync them to my phone. By this time, it didn't matter, I was going to go for my walk even if I had to drag my feet the whole way. I got my fitness tracker set and hit "go." I didn't know what I wanted to listen to. Music? Not really. I started the next episode of Doug Wood's podcast, but it was over an hour long and I was not going to walk for over an hour. I could start it and finish it later? Nawh. It would leave me with a feeling of not completing something else. Ugh. My goal was a mile. I checked the episode times, scanned my options and decided Rob Du Haime's episode #25 was an acceptable length, 31minutes.

On my walk I got to hear Rob and his wife Bridget talk. Not a lecture, a conversation they were having and letting me listen in while also making me feel included. It was great. I did not feel like talking to anyone because after all, I was still grumpy but didn't feel like being along. They were perfect for me.

Halfway through my walk, I felt a lot better. It was the perfect episode to listen to. The title of the episode was "How to: Build Discipline" It seemed to address many of the feelings I have been having this past week. Been feeling lack of motivation and he brought it up. They talked about how we don't always feel like doing what we know we should be doing. I have heard it before, but when Rob said to do something today that your future self will thank you for... he said it such a way that I felt a pep in my step surface. *smile*

What I have learned is I don't really keep falling off the "diet wagon," I keeping hitting bumps on "my health journey, "  and am getting better at recovering. I am healing parts of me I thought I just had to live with because I had no clue how to heal with them. Not any more, I am healing, I am making progress, I am experiencing and embracing a "lifelong transformation" to a better me. No more "Day 1's," only more bumps to conquer.

If you don't feel like getting up and doing something for your health... consider listening to music, a podcast, talking to a friend, journaling, or sending me a email, a tweet, or a Facebook message.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where to Purchase Shoes

Healthier Choice, Still Over Budget

2011_0117 Counting Calories at Disneyland