Should I Get a New Bathroom Scale

On a recent trip to my local Costco, I saw a bathroom scale with big letters across the top saying "weightwatchers".  This got me me thinking about my bathroom scale and wondering if I needed to get a new scale. Maybe I need a better scale to help me along my weight loss journey. The problem is determining what IS a better scale for ME.

In looking at the Weight Watchers bathroom scale, I did not see anything I personally felt was worthy of the "Weight Watchers" name. Having a large display is nice, but other scales offer this too. The box also lists as features having a high contrast, a blue back light, and tempered safety glass. This all seems like something I can find on other scales. The only thing I found at a quick glance that made this scale more appealing to a Weight Watchers member is the weight limit, 400 lbs. Most bathroom scales I have come across have had a weight limit around 250-300 lbs.

So when choosing a scale, take in consideration how much you currently weigh.

If you are interested in checking out the Weight Watchers scale.
Costco - in San Dimas, California, has it listed as regular priced at $19.99
Now thru 01/27/17 it has a $5.00 manufacture's instant rebate so you can get it for $14.99

Target - $24.99 is very similar but the two side bars are very thin.

Walmart - has it a list price of $79.19 but is currently on sale online for $52.73
It looks very similar to the one at Costco but the "WW" imprinted at the bottom of the scale is a different font and it does not have the blue back light.


While scrolling around on Walmart's site, found one that caught me eye.
Walmart #: 551402137
It runs $34.09.  This scale has a wider base to stand on, can accommodate 4 users. and it gives four other readings:
BF = Body Fat,
BW = Body Water,
BMI = Body Mass Index, and
Bone = Bone Mass

I looked at some scales with a dial but I'm not a fan of those. When I lean my head over to read the number on the scale, the number of the scale also moves. Dial scales are not an option for me.

There are scales which come with apps and automatically log your weight into Fitbit, Apple Health, Google, etc. I'm not sure I want everything done automatically. I find there is something to seeing your weight, logging it. Consciously entering your weight is acknowledging your current weight, good or bad, you are aware of it.

I am currently happy with my bathroom scale so I'm keeping it. I must admit though, I am tempted to get the last bathroom scale I saw at Walmart for $34.09. Hmmmm... Maybe when I loose 15 more pounds I will treat myself to a new scale.

One thing to remember is to always keep your bathroom scale in a cool dry place. In other words, do not store it in your bathroom. When you shower the steam from the shower can mess it up and yield bad readings. I found that out with my previous scale. I also ended up having to change the battery more often.

Tip: Make sure you always weight yourself wearing the exact same thing at the same approximate time of day as you normally do. For example, always in your PJs, or always before you go in for a shower in your birthday suit. Do this for consistency and increase accuracy to weight changes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where to Purchase Shoes

Healthier Choice, Still Over Budget

2011_0117 Counting Calories at Disneyland